In Maramures, the Romanian region which shares a border with the Ukraine, sleepy villages authentically preserve century-old traditions as part of their daily lives. Inhabitants of this area keep the rural culture and crafts of their Dacian ancestors alive to an amazing extend. The famous and distinctly unique Wooden Churches of Maramures, have been recognized by UNESCO as important to the world’s collective heritage and have put this northwestern Romanian region firmly on the map for many visitors.
But what is perhaps less known about Maramures, is that Baia Mare, the capital of the county, is also home to a group of entrepreneurs who are about to help change the landscape of electric car manufacturing.
The GTG Group, initially a large textile manufacturer turned EV assembling start-up, aims to produce the cheapest electric car “Made in Romania”, entering the market at an estimated 11,888 Euros with their GTG Oxygen EV.
Inspired by Elon Musk’s ingenuity and the way Musk is revolutionizing transportation both on earth and in space, Gheorghe Muresan, GTG’s manager and his team have attempted within minimal romanian market resource parametres, to produce cheap electric cars, conceptualised by an Italian designer.
Muresan is quoted telling MEDIAFAX “We are a group of enthusiastic entrepreneurs who believe that electric cars can become very accessible to everyone. We believe we can find the solution that each of us, sooner or later, becomes the owner of an electric car that will solve the immediate problem of moving from point A to point B to a city”
MEDIAFAX reports that the project which is currently in the implementation phase, amounts to 1.5 million euros. European funding is making up 74% of the investment with the remaining 26% coming from the groups’ own funds. The assembly line in Baia Mare includes a testing line and is set to begin operation in the first quarter of 2019. Phase one, is expected to deliver 4.000 cars, 10 per shift, with the first two vehicles already being assembled in Baia Mare and two further vehicles assembled by a partner in Bucharest.
GTG have stated they expect to reduce their delivery time from 3 months to 2-3 weeks once their assembly line is fully operational. The company states that they will produce two models, the Oxygen two seater and the Ozone 4 seater EV. The vehicles will comfortably take commuters at a maximum speed of 55-60 km/h around city traffic and will operate on an overnight battery charge from a 16-amp socket, which can easily be installed in any garage. Consumers will be offered 2 versions, the cheaper gel battery powered option and the faster charging Lithium battery option.
Report’s show that the future is looking bright for EV’s. With market prices slowly on the decline, the affordability of such vehicles makes them a tangible choice for the majority of the population, thus helping reduce pollutants in the atmosphere and increasing air quality and reducing noise pollution, a promising outlook for life in cities.
Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law is a young and dynamic Romanian law firm, providing legal advice in all business sectors and in all areas of Business Law and Dispute Resolution in Romania. Our team is comprised of lawyers who are leaders in their disciplines.
The firm works in close co-operation with highly-respected law firms throughout Europe and elsewhere and has significant experience in cross-border transactions, with its lawyers providing legal advice in the English, German, French, Italian, Romanian and Spanish.