A recent GEO introduces numerous changes concerning holidays and sickness insurance benefits. The most significant changes include:
• Increased ease of access to the mechanism for electronic filling of sickness certificates that reduces the bureaucracy in the health insurance system.
• Competent doctors can complete medical sickness certificates both on paper and electronically and can submit the forms either by paper or by electronic means to employers and insured individuals.
• Health policy holders who have sick children under age 16 receive leave and sickness insurance benefits to care for their children.
• The social health insurance system now eliminates the contribution for leave and sickness insurance payments by employers paid to the unemployment insurance budget. Now individuals may voluntarily insure themselves in the social health insurance system for leave and sickness insurance benefits.
• The new regulations grant the right to obtain voluntary insurance in the social health insurance system for individuals, other than those who earn salaries or unemployment benefits so that they can receive holidays and social health insurance benefits based on an insurance contract that includes leave and sickness insurance benefits.
GEO no. 99 / 14.12.2017 amends GEO no. 158/2005 regarding holidays and social health insurance indemnities and was published in the Official Gazette on 19 December 2017.